“Her powerful vocal style captured the audience”
– Evening Post Wellington
“Great vocal styling and this woman also plays great blues harmonica”
– Christchurch Star
Erna Ferry has come to jazz via years of performing in commercial and blues based bands throughout the Manawatu region in New Zealand, as well as experience in performing Theatre with roles in major musical productions the likes of Slice of Saturday Night , Hair and The Best Little Whore House in Texas.
Since discovering jazz, Erna has performed at all the leading jazz festivals throughout New Zealand, namely the Tauranga, Rotorua, Bay of Islands, Manawatu and Wanganui festivals.
Career highlights so far have include winning the 1993 Wellington Jazz Quest, support artist to American vocal star Al Jarreau as well as touring New Zealand with leading American Jazz performers Bruce Forman - Guitar, Bill Cunliffe- Piano, Holly Hofmann - Flute and Jon Papenbrook - Trumpet.
The year 2000 has seen major developments in Erna Ferry’s musical career path:
- The release of her first CD recording which features the musical backings of New Zealand’s own The Rodger Fox Big Band, musical arrangement by acclaimed American writers Gordon Brisker and Jeff Driskill and specials appearances by star performs Bill Cunliffe and Jon Papenbrook.
- Erna toured the USA in September along side
the Rodger Fox Big Band with appearances at the Monterey Jazz Festival and performances in San Francisco, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
- 2002 Guest appearance on the World Blues Revue – New Zealand Tour: Erna gained a lot of new friends with her powerful performance’s as the special guest on the World Blues Revue Tour alongside blues legends Robben Ford and Long John Baldry.
- February of 2004 has Erna releasing her second CD, which features Danny Caron – Guitar, Dewayne Pate – Bass, Deszon Claiborne – Drums and Dave Mathews – Keyboards, all who have performed recently with the World Blues Revue. This CD is titled “BIG BLUES"...check it out.
- May 2010 has her third record titled “ Close Your Eyes”. This CD was recorded at the Blue Room Studios in Los Angeles with star American jazz artists: Joe LaBarbera - Drums, Tom Warrington - Bass, Larry Koonse - Guitar, Clay Jenkins - Trumpets, Bob Sheppard - Saxophone and New Zealand’s own Rodger Fox - Trombone